It is official…I am 99% sure I will survive the half marathon. I just completed the 12 mile training run. For many people today they ran farther then they have ever run before. That makes for a wonderful feeling of nervousness and excitement in the air.
My run was fantastic! I think I can say with confidence that a factor in that is that I have come to terms with my altered goal for this year’s Missoula Half. I had lots of random thoughts going through my head during the 2 hours and 12 minutes out on my run. I tried to remember some of them to share with you.
- “How did this rock get in my sock?”
- “I bet if I ran like a zombie, I wouldn’t get those white triangles from the sun where my elbows bend”
- “Why won’t my legs move?”
- “Wow! I am fast!”
- “OMG I am slow”
- “Whoa! I am super-fast”
- “Jeez! That dude has past me 3 different times!” (It was the route…I didn’t pass him once)
- “Anders said this was a flat route…maybe I should define the word flat in my blog for him.”
- “Yes! I am at 3 miles! “
- “Thank you water station volunteers!”
- “Oh…I am so excited for those oranges and cocoanut things Carol brings us. She is awesome.”
- “Look! It is Squatch’s fire station…maybe they will give me a ride back to my car on the fire truck.”
- “Hey…there is that guy again. At least he has fun encouraging words as he leaves me in his dust.”
- “I am so taking an ice bath when I get home.”
- “Why do I have LeAnn Rimes “Light the Fire Within” on my running playlist?”
- “Is it further or farther when you are referencing distance? I bet Beans would know.” (It is farther…I Googled it.)
- “This sucks”
- “This is awesome!”
- “Hey this will be my 5th half marathon. That is pretty cool.”
- “Look horses! They look like they are cheering us on. I wish I had a carrot. Do horses even eat carrots? Wow…I am a city girl.”
- “Thank goodness I survived.”
That is about 1.5 minutes of the thoughts from over 2 hours of running. As you can assume…there is a lot going on up there (in my head). All in all it was a good run and I did refer back to my blog “A Goat Among Horses” for my first ice bath in a long time. It was actually on the verge of enjoyable.
Starting to look forward to actual run part of the half marathon and feel like I may be getting my mojo back. Coming to peace with what my desired end result of the “big show” has really helped. I hope those of you who ran today enjoyed it as much as I did. Super proud of everyone and this year of hard work and training!